'I'm Not Perfect Selena Gomez

Selena Gomez in Black Dress

Selena Gomez wasn't prepared to have people emulate her, but has learned to adjust quickly.

The teen singer and former Disney star says on a yet-to-air E! Entertainment Special: Selena Gomez, "I never really said I want to be a role model. But then when it happened I was so down for it."

The Gomester explained she has learned to step up to the challenge of being a role model, saying, "I'm human. I'm not perfect. I make mistakes all the time, but I guess my job is to keep those mistakes to myself, which I'm already fine doing and just try to be the best I can be for those kids."

It wasn't too long ago that Selena was forced to call off a scheduled appearance because of physical exhaustion and poor diet. She went back to thrilling her fans soon after, though.

The young actress had a hard time during her formative years and also had to come to terms with her parents' splitting up.

She wanted her parents back together and says it was difficult to deal with what was happening.

Gomez looks quite comfortable under the bright lights, whether it's on the red carpet or exchanging PDA with current beau Justin Bieber.

She says it's not hard to get wrapped up in name and fame. "This is a very superficial job. I sit in a chair for two hours and get hair and makeup done and talk about (me) in interviews. That's a very vain thing to do."

Sounds like the model star has learned to take everything in stride!

The E! Entertainment Special hits the airwaves June 29.